GTA

Ontario sees 1,536 new COVID cases, estimated 21% caused by omicron variant

Ontario sees 1,536 new COVID cases, estimated 21% caused by omicron variant-Milenio Stadium-Ontario
A care-home worker gets the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at a clinic at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

Ontario reported 1,536 further cases of COVID-19 on Monday, as the province’s science advisory group estimated that about 21 per cent of all new infections are being caused by the omicron variant.

Today’s case count is a 73 per cent jump over the same time last week. The seven-day average of daily cases has climbed to 1,328, its highest point in more than six months and a 41 per cent rise from last Monday.

According to Ontario’s COVID-19 Science Advisory Table, cases due to omicron are on pace to double every three days.

That means by the end of the week, omicron could account for roughly 50 per cent of all infections in the province. Within 10 days, it will likely account for more than 95 per cent of all new cases, said Peter Jüni, the group’s scientific director, in an interview with CBC News Network.

Twenty-nine of Ontario’s 34 public health units are currently reporting exponential growth in new cases.

Jüni said the transmissibility of omicron should compel the province to ramp up its booster shot campaign as quickly as possible for all adults.

Real-world data suggests a third dose, for those who had their second more than three months ago, offers robust protection against severe illness from the variant, Jüni said. As of Sunday, 1,128,482 people in Ontario had received a third dose or a booster shot.

There are also hopeful signs that omicron may not cause as severe illness as previous variants, such as delta, though Jüni cautioned it is still too early to know for certain.

A new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that out of the 43 omicron cases identified in 22 states in early December, just ​​one person needed a brief hospital stay, and there were no reported deaths from the variant.

Moreover, despite record-high case counts, scientists in South Africa have not yet seen evidence that omicron is causing more serious illness, which could either be a sign of things to come or a delay in the true impact it will have there.

Jüni pointed out that in Gauteng, the South African province hit hardest by omicron, up to 93 per cent of those infected with the variant had some degree of immunity already, either from a previous infection or via vaccination.

He said there is currently no evidence to suggest that it could result in milder infections for unvaccinated people here in Ontario.

As of Sunday evening in Ontario, there were 161 people being treated for COVID-related illnesses in intensive care units, down somewhat from 165 last Monday. Of those in ICU, 90 needed help from a ventilator to breathe.

Ontario Public Service postpones return to workplaces

The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is “temporarily interrupting” its return to the workplace plans for provincial government staff, CBC News has learned.

A memo from OPS Head Michelle E. DiEmanuele to employees that was obtained by CBC News said the decision was made in line with the latest public health guidance from the province’s chief medical officer of health.

“Over the next week, we are asking all managers to assess operational requirements at the local level and what work can be carried on remotely, and to communicate with teams and individuals,” said the memo to the 60,000-member service.

The postponement takes effect Friday and will last until Feb. 7, 2022, though the memo said employees could be asked to return to their workplaces in person before then. In that case, two weeks notice will be given, DiEmanuele said.

At a news conference last Friday, Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, recommended that anyone who is able to work from home do so as the province faces down a surge in new COVID-19 cases.

Booster hopefuls report problems with booking portal

Ontario’s portal for booking COVID-19 vaccines appeared to crash this morning as residents 50 and older who received their second shot at least six months ago became eligible for booster doses.

The provincial vaccine booking platform opened for appointments at 8 a.m., but shortly afterwards showed a message to try again later.

Social media users reported a number of problems on social media and expressed frustration with the province’s online booking system.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Health Minister Christine Elliott said the portal is “experiencing an intermittent technical issue” and the government is working to fix it.

“As of this morning, the provincial booking system is experiencing high volumes of demand, with 3.4 million more Ontarians aged 50-69 becoming eligible to receive their booster dose,” Alexandra Hilkene said.

“We ask individuals to be patient and to keep trying. People are also able to call the provincial vaccine line to book an appointment at 1-833-943-3900.”

People can also book shots by phone, through local public health units using their own booking systems and at some pharmacies and primary care clinics.

Booster eligibility is set to open up to all adults on Jan. 4 but the province’s top doctor has said the schedule could move faster if capacity allows.

Today is also the deadline for long-term care workers in the province to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Staff, students and volunteers can’t enter long-term care homes without proof of both doses.

Highest positivity rate since May 25

Ontario this morning reported a 5.5 per cent positivity rate on 38,331 tests, the highest rate since May 25.

The Ministry of Health also recorded the death of one more person with COVID-19, pushing the official toll to 10,079.

CBC

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

 

Quer receber a edição semanal e as newsletters editoriais no seu e-mail?

 

Mais próximo. Mais dinâmico. Mais atual.
www.mileniostadium.com
O mesmo de sempre, mas melhor!

 

SUBSCREVER