Entretenimento

The Henry Ford Trade School

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

This week’s article will highlight the trade school that Henry Ford established in 1916. Henry Ford believed in education, although he himself had not actually had a formal one. The Henry Ford Trade School was started by Henry Ford in order to teach and involve young boys in the industrial arts, such as machining, welding and basic automotive principals. The age range for acceptance was 12 to 15 years of age, but with strict emphasis on those who were either orphans, from a low-income homestead or most importantly the breadwinners in families, where fathers were absent. The curriculum consisted of academia study and technical on-site training. The technical area of the school was well equipped with metal turning equipment, such as lathes, milling machines, etc. Upon graduation from the Henry Ford Trade School, some of the boys were actually offered permanent employment with the Ford Motor Company and as such required further training and education at “The Ford Apprentice School.” Occasionally part of the graduates from the Henry Ford Trade School, moved on to other higher places of learning, other corporations/opportunities.

The school was originally started with a mere six students and one instructor at the Highland Park fabrication facility.  Over the next few years, time was divided between theory and practical and the evolving curriculum began to take shape through the trial-and-error process. In 1918, Henry Ford appointed Frederick Searle, Superintendent of the school and he held that position until 1946.

The school was so successful that by 1935 the “Detroit School System” recognized and began to accept Henry Ford Trade School credits towards obtaining a high school diploma. As such, beginning in 1937, Henry Ford Trade School diplomas began to be issued to graduating students and the first formal commencement was held in the famed Rotunda Theatre in 1939.

The Henry Ford Trade School-toronto-mileniostadium
1945 – Henry Ford Trade School button up sweater, size medium and in great condition for its age. Embroidered with student’s name, “Thaddeus Aardol”.

Following the Second World War, the trade school acquired a parcel of land known as “Camp Legion”, that was to be used to house the academic portion of the trade school. In 1946, the curriculum was modified and updated to meet educational requirements of high schools in the state of Michigan. In early 1948, the Henry Ford Trade School obtained official status as an accredited high school and as such graduating students could now pursue higher levels of education, just as their other high school counterparts in the state of Michigan.

Ford believed and wanted students to benefit and reap the rewards of their education. Students were able to repair machinery and tools of the Ford Motor Company. From the inception, students were paid an hourly wage, based on skill level and length of time at school. Henry Ford generously donated an additional $2 per month/per student into a savings account that could only be accessed after graduation.

The student work earned a wage and as such fell within the Ministry of Labour for the state of Michigan and all its guidelines. Each student was given three weeks’ vacation in the summer months and one additional week at Christmas. The trade school has their own first aid stations, a resident nurse, a resident dentist and was able to furnish each and every student with a daily hot lunch.

Each student was exposed to many different types of academic courses and practical exercises. While the school was operational the following were some of the offered courses, electrical, foundry, air tool theory, woodworking, physics, chemistry, metallurgy and driver training. The school was not all work all the time. There was an array of intermural sports teams, varsity sports teams, camera club, radio club and safety club, just to name few. The students also participated in International Expositions and World Fairs, often demonstrating fabricated tools and processes.

Sadly, the trade school was closed in 1952 by Henry Ford II (known as the Deuce), Henry’s grandson, eldest son of Edsel Ford. The Deuce’s decision was made to all affiliated Ford sponsored programs that were not producing any income. The school had been operating for 36 years and subsequently graduated over 8,000 boys from the Detroit and surrounding area. Trade school graduates worked for a myriad of industries and professions, from the automotive industry to dentistry to medicine and art and design.

The Henry Ford Trade School-toronto-mileniostadium

  1. 1945 – Henry Ford Trade School button up sweater, size medium and in great condition for its age. Embroidered with student’s name, “Thaddeus Aardol”.
  2. Collection of three student identification badges, L to R. 1918-1925 No. 285, first issue badge, 1927 No. 3035 and 1932-1941, No. 263. All approximately 32mm in width.
  3. Collection of two student identification badges, L to R. 1940-1946, No. 703 and 1945-1952, No. 1018. Referred to as the “Torch” badge and this was the last issued badge prior to school closure.
  4. Super rare – Henry Ford Trade School instructor badge or supervisory personnel badge.
    Super rare – Henry Ford Trade School “ABC” badge. This badge was used at the Dearborn Rouge and Highland Park Plants, by students who successfully graduated from the “HFTS” and gained employment with the Ford Motor Company. There only tools were a broom, mop and whatever it took to keep the plant clean. This usually lasted for the first six months.

A Escola de Comércio do Henry Ford

No artigo desta semana irei destacar a escola de comércio do Henry Ford, inaugurada em 1916. Henry Ford acreditava na educação, apesar de ele nunca ter tido uma formação oficial. A escola de comércio do Henry Ford foi aberta para ensinar as artes industriais aos mais jovens, tais como operar maquinaria, soldar, e princípios básicos de automação. A idade para      se ser aceite era entre os 12 e os 15 anos de idade, mas com ênfase mais restrita nos que eram órfãos, vinham de uma casa de baixo rendimento, ou mais importante, os chefes de família, quando os pais estavam ausentes. O currículo consistia em estudo académico e prática de treino no local. A área técnica da escola era bem equipada com equipamento metálico de torneamento, tais como tornos, fresadoras, etc… Após a graduação da escola de comércio do Henry Ford, a alguns dos jovens eram, na verdade, oferecidas verdadeiras vagas de emprego permanente na Ford Motor Company, e como tal era necessário treino adicional e educação na “Escola de Aprendizagem da Ford”. Ocasionalmente, parte dos graduados da escola de comércio de Henry Ford moviam a sua educação para uma classe superior, outras corporações ou até mesmo oportunidades.

The Henry Ford Trade School-toronto-mileniostadium
1945 – Henry Ford Trade School button up sweater, size medium and in great condition for its age. Embroidered with student’s name, “Thaddeus Aardol”.

A escola começou originalmente com uns meros seis estudantes e um instrutor nas instalações da fábrica na Highland Park. Durante os anos seguintes, o tempo era dividido entre teoria e prática e o currículo evoluía, transformando a sua forma através de um processo de tentativa e erro. Em 1918, Henry Ford apontou Frederick Searle como superintendente da escola, posição que tomou até 1946.

A escola foi um sucesso tão grande que em 1935 o “Sistema de Escolas de Detroit” o reconheceu   e começou a aceitar os créditos da escola de comércio do Henry Ford para graduar estudantes com um diploma de secundário. Assim, a partir de 1937, a escola de comércio de Henry Ford começou a graduar estudantes e a primeira cerimónia foi feita no famoso Rotunda Theatre em 1939.

Depois da Segunda Guerra Mundial, a escola de comércio adquiriu uma parcela de terra conhecida como “A Legião do Campo”, que costumava abrigar uma porção da academia da escola de comércio. Em 1946, o currículo foi modificado e atualizado para se conjugar com os requerimentos educacionais de escolas de secundário do estado de Michigan. Nos começos de 1948, a escola de comércio de Henry Ford obteve oficialmente o estatuto de escola secundária acreditada e, como tal, estudantes graduados podiam agora seguir para um nível de educação mais alta, tal como outra secundária do estado de Michigan.

Ford acreditava e queria estudantes que beneficiassem e que colhessem os prémios pela sua educação. Os estudantes eram capazes de arranjar maquinaria e ferramentas da Ford Motor Company. Desde o início, eram pagos com um valor à hora, baseado no nível de conhecimento e tempo de estudo. Henry Ford doava generosamente uns adicionais $2 à hora por estudante para uma conta de poupança à qual os estudantes poderiam ter acesso depois da sua graduação.

Os estudantes recebiam um ordenado e, como tal, seguiam todas as leis do Ministério do Trabalho do estado de Michigan. Cada estudante recebia três semanas de férias durante o verão e uma semana adicional no Natal. A escola de comércio do Henry Ford tinha as suas próprias estações de pronto-socorro, uma enfermeira residente, um dentista residente e ainda providenciava a todos os estudantes uma refeição diária quente.

Cada estudante era exposto a diferentes cursos académicos e exercícios práticos. Enquanto a escola estava operacional, os seguintes eram alguns dos cursos oferecidos: eletricidade, fundição, teoria de ferramentas, carpinteiro, físicas, química, metalurgia e treino de condução. A escola não era apenas trabalho a tempo inteiro. Existia uma lista de atividades, tais como desportos intramuros, equipas de desporto, clube de câmara, clube de rádio e o clube de segurança. Os estudantes participavam em exposições internacionais e feiras mundiais, muitas vezes demonstrando processos e ferramentas fabricadas.

Infelizmente, a escola de comércio de Henry Ford foi fechada em 1952 por Henry Ford II (conhecido como O Segundo), neto de Henry, filho mais velho de Edsel Ford. A decisão do Segundo foi feita para todos os programas afiliados Ford que não estivessem a produzir nenhum rendimento. A escola esteve em operação por 36 anos e subsequentemente graduou mais de oito mil jovens de Detroit e áreas em volta. A graduação da escola de comércio funcionava    para um número acrescido de indústrias e profissões, desde a indústria automóvel, até à medicina dentária, medicina, ou arte e design.

The Henry Ford Trade School-toronto-mileniostadium

  1. 1945 – Camisola de botão da Escola do Comércio do Henry Ford, tamanho médio e em excelente condição para a sua idade. Bordado com o nome do estudante, “Thaddeus Aardol”.
  2. Coleção de emblemas de identificação de três estudantes, de L até R. 1918-1925 Nº. 285, emblema de primeira edição, 1927 Nº. 3035 e 1932-1941, Nº. 263. Todos aproximadamente com 32mm de largura.
  3. Coleção de emblemas de identificação de dois estudantes, de L a R. 1940-1946, Nº. 703 e 1945-1952, Nº. 1018. Referido como o emblema da “Tocha” e este foi o último emblema a ser feito antes do fecho da escola.
  4. Super raro – Emblema de instrutor da Escola de Comércio do Henry Ford ou emblema de supervisor de funcionários. Super raro – emblema da Escola de Comércio do Henry Ford “ABC”. Este emblema era usado no Dearborn Rouge e Highland Park, pelos estudantes que se graduaram com sucesso da “HFTS” e acabaram por ficar a trabalhar na Ford Motor Company. Apenas ferramentas como vassouras, esfregona ou qualquer coisa para manter a localização limpa. Este serviço durava geralmente apenas pelos primeiros seis meses.

Armando Terra/MS

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

 

Quer receber a edição semanal e as newsletters editoriais no seu e-mail?

 

Mais próximo. Mais dinâmico. Mais atual.
www.mileniostadium.com
O mesmo de sempre, mas melhor!

 

SUBSCREVER