Entretenimento

The Henry Ford Hospital

A BLAST FROM THE PAST

One of the best in America today, this Detroit Landmark Institution is a monument to one of the greatest humanitarians of all time. Henry Ford’s brilliant and methodical concepts resulted in so many dramatic medical improvements, most famously the invention of the widely used universal rolling mechanical hospital bed. Henry Ford did not believe or subscribe to the concept of “organized charity”. He believed direct involvement would be more efficient and he was never proved wrong. As a result of his feelings towards “organized charity”, he and his family directly spent $14,628,799.00 on the hospital buildings between 1914 and 1936,

The Henry Ford Hospital-toronto-mileniostadium
When Henry Ford moved from a Michigan farm to Detroit in 1879 at the age of sixteen, two of every eight Americans lived in a city; when he died at the age of eighty-three in 1947, that number was up to five. Famous for saying, “History is more or less bunk,” Ford was admired by Adolf Hitler, who hung a photograph of the automobile tycoon in his office. Credit: DR.

Mr. Ford directly assumed responsibility for the construction financing of the new hospital in 1914, when a disastrous public campaign to raise funds flopped. Mr. Ford graciously reimburseD original donors of that same campaign a whopping total of $400,000.00. These transactions were entered into the Ford Motor Company’s book, under the following column heading, “Mr. Henry Ford’s Hospital”. The name was subsequently carried over and bestowed upon the hospital upon incorporation of the hospital as a registered nonprofit institution.

Mr. Ford’s personal secretary, Ernest Liebold, was ordered to personally supervise the construction and business management of the new hospital. Liebold was a journalist and confessed to have never seen the inside of any hospital and this was particularly well with Ford. Mr. Ford figured that “experts” were blind to the possibility of newer innovation and subsequent improvement. Most he figured were bound by convention, tradition and not open to new procedure or possibilities. Liebold would later streamline protocols and procedures, which often put him at odds with staff. 

The Henry Ford Hospital opened in the autumn of 1915 and consisted of seven different buildings and structures and all linked by underground interconnecting tunnels, a feature which is widely used today in many downtown core areas of major cities. The largest structure of the grouping was known as the “patients pavilion”, which was equipped with a total of 48 bed units. Mr. Ford was not satisfied with this present design and wanted a much larger hospital. He immediately put into action a plan that developed a concept for a new larger main building that would be fitted with identically designed rooms to house 336 patients.

Ford’s plan for the hospital was derived from the methodology he developed to build automobiles. He wanted rooms to be identical in all aspects as this would limit the required materials to upkeep and maintain. Mr. Ford was often at odds with his medical staff, he often rejected their ideas and constantly reminded him that his name was the one on the exterior side of the building. The rooms finish was to be mono-coloured, based on Mr. Ford’s principle “that it can be any colour, as long as it’s black”. He believed that no distinction should exist within the hospital, no one had the right to choose a particular room over another, simply because they were all alike. Millionaires and laborers were charged the same amount for the identical treatment or operation.

Finally, after two years of consultation and experimentation the standard room size came to be sixteen by ten feet, complete with a closet and bathing area. Construction began on the main new building and the older portion of the hospital served as U.S. General Hospital, No. 36, during 1918-1919. Mr. Ford leased it to the U.S. government for $1.00 per year and the hospital itself treated more than 2000 patients that had been wounded or become sick during The Great War overseas.

By 1925 the complex consisted on nine buildings and Ford decided to make his hospital system “closed”. Although any doctor could refer and bring a patient to the hospital, once registered and admitted, the patient(s) could only be treated by staff physicians and surgeons, who had been strictly vetted.

Today the hospital is part of the Henry Ford Health System, still a non-profit health care organization, located at One Ford Place in downtown Detroit, Michigan. The system initially established by Henry Ford in 1915, today is operated by a 17-member committee board of appointed trustees. The existing system provides primary and preventative care, acute care and specialty care which is supported by continuous excellence in education, practice and research. The entire system consists of the Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Henry Ford Allegiance Health, Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Henry Ford Kingswood Hospital and Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital.

The Henry Ford Hospital-toronto-mileniostadium
Créditos: Armando Terra/MS
  1. 1930’s-1940’s: Henry Ford Hospital vitreous china custard cup, creamer and butter pat dish. All marked with HFH (Henry Ford Hospital) initials. C-10 condition, no chips, flea bites, cracks or crazing.
  2. July 19th, 1947 – Henry Ford Hospital prescription dropper bottle, originally filled with ear drops. Paper label in excellent condition.
  3. 1940’s – Two pairs of prescription eyeglasses from the Henry Ford optometry clinic. Both cases identified with HFH name plate, prescription number and original lens cleaning clothes present in C-10 condition
  4. Collection of two Henry Ford Hospital Security shoulder patches. (Red is CIRCA 1940 and the blue is CIRCA 1960). One – Henry Ford Hospital dietician breast patch. All 3 are in great condition.

O hospital do Henry Ford

Um dos melhores da América nos dias de hoje, o Detroit Landmark Institution, é um monumento de um dos maiores humanitários de todos os tempos. Os conceitos médicos e brilhantes de Henry Ford resultaram em várias melhorias dramáticas no setor médico, sendo mais conhecido pela invenção usada mundialmente, a cama hospitalar mecânica. Henry Ford não acreditava no conceito de “caridade organizada”. Como tal, ele acreditava que um envolvimento direto seria mais eficiente e nunca foi provado o oposto. Como resultado dos seus sentimentos pela “caridade organizada”, ele e a sua família gastaram $14,628,799.00 diretamente no hospital entre 1914 e 1936.

Ford assumiu responsabilidade pelo financiamento da construção do novo hospital em 1914, quando a campanha pública para arrecadação de fundos falhou miseravelmente. Ford, em boa fé, devolveu as doações todas aos donos originais dessa mesma campanha, somando um total de $400,000.00. Estas transições foram inseridas nos livros da Ford Motor Company, em baixo do título, “Hospital do senhor Henry Ford”. O nome foi subsequentemente transportado e concedido à incorporação do hospital, como uma instituição registada sem fins lucrativos.

The Henry Ford Hospital-toronto-mileniostadium

O secretário de Ford, Ernest Liebold, foi ordenado a supervisionar pessoalmente a construção e a gestão do novo hospital. Liebold era jornalista e confessou nunca ter visto o interior de nenhum hospital e Ford sentia-se particularmente bem com este facto.. O senhor Ford imaginava que “experientes” iriam estar cegos para a possibilidade de inovação e melhorias subsequentes. Ele sabia que a maioria estava vinculada por convenção, estilo tradicional e não estariam abertos a novos procedimentos ou possibilidades. Liebold iria mais tarde liderar protocolos e procedimentos, os quais o colocariam em dúvidas pelos funcionários.

O Hospital de Henry Ford abriu as suas portas no outono de 1915 e consistia em sete edifícios diferentes e estruturas que se encontravam conectados por um túnel subterrâneo, algo que é bastante usado hoje nas maiores baixas das cidades mais conhecidas. A maior estrutura do grupo era conhecida como o “pavilhão dos pacientes”, o qual era equipado com um total de 48 camas. Ford não estava satisfeito com o design do mesmo e queria um hospital maior. Ele colocou em prática imediatamente um plano de ação que desenvolveu o conceito para um edifício principal maior, que iria ter um estilo de quartos semelhantes aos atuais, podendo receber 336 pacientes.

The Henry Ford Hospital-toronto-mileniostadiumO plano de Ford para o hospital era derivado da metodologia que ele mesmo tinha usado na sua cadeia de produção de automóveis. Ele queria quartos idênticos em todos os aspetos, já que isto iria limitar os materiais necessários, facilitando os seus reparos e manutenção. Ford estava bastantes vezes contra as ideias dos seus funcionários, fazendo-os lembrar que era o nome dele que se encontrava na parede exterior do edifício. Os acabamentos dos quartos eram monocromáticos, seguindo a ideologia de Ford de que “poderia ser qualquer cor, desde que fosse preto”. Ele acreditava que não deveriam existir distinções, sendo que todos os quartos eram iguais, não permitindo a escolha de um sobre o outro. Milionários e trabalhadores eram cobrados no mesmo valor, por tratamentos idênticos ou operação.

Finalmente, após dois anos de consulta e experiência, o quarto regular possuía 16 x 10 pés, completo com um armário e uma área de banho. A construção começou no novo edifício principal e a porção antiga do hospital serviu como um Hospital General dos Estados Unidos da América, nº. 36, durante 1918-1919. Ford alugou-o ao Governo dos Estados Unidos da América por $1 por ano e o hospital em si tratou mais de 2000 pacientes que se tinham ferido ou adoecido durante a Grande Guerra.

The Henry Ford Hospital-toronto-mileniostadiumEm 1925, o complexo consistia em nove edifícios e Ford decidiu fazer o seu sistema de hospital “fechado”. Contudo, qualquer médico poderia referenciar e trazer pacientes para o hospital. Uma vez registado e admitido, o paciente podia apenas ser tratado por funcionários que tivessem sido extremamente examinados.

Hoje o hospital faz parte do Sistema de Saúde do Henry Ford, continuando a ser uma organização de saúde sem fins lucrativos, localizado na One Ford Place, na baixa da cidade de Detroit, Michigan. O sistema inicialmente estabelecido em 1915, hoje opera com um conselho de 17 membros de médicos renomeados. O sistema existente providencia cuidados primários e preventivos, cuidados intensivos e cuidados específicos, o qual é suportado por educação de excelência contínua, prática e estudo. O sistema inteiro consiste no Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Henry Ford Allegiance Health, henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Henry Ford Kingswood Hospital e Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital.

  1. 1930s – 1940s: Copo vidroso creme do Henry Ford Hospital, tabuleiro de creme e manteiga. Tudo marcado com as iniciais HFH (Henry Ford Hospital). Condição C-10, sem marcas nem rachaduras.
  2. Julho 19, 1947 – Conta-gotas de prescrição do Henry Ford Hospital, originalmente cheio com gotas para ouvido. Etiqueta de papel em excelente condição.
  3. 1940s – Dois pares de óculos com prescrição da clínica de optometria do Henry Ford. Ambas as caixas identificadas com HFH, número de prescrição e pano de limpar lentes originais em condição C-10.
  4. Coleção de dois emblemas de ombro da Segurança do Henry Ford Hospital. (O vermelho é de cerca de 1940 e o azul é de cerca de 1960). Pino de peito do Henry Ford Hospital. Os três em condição excelente.

Armando Terra/MS

Redes Sociais - Comentários

Artigos relacionados

Back to top button

 

Quer receber a edição semanal e as newsletters editoriais no seu e-mail?

 

Mais próximo. Mais dinâmico. Mais atual.
www.mileniostadium.com
O mesmo de sempre, mas melhor!

 

SUBSCREVER