Ontario reported an additional 119 cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with a firm majority once again in people under 40 years old.
Thirty of the province’s 34 public health units confirmed five or fewer new cases, while 16 of those 30 reported no new cases at all, Health Minister Christine Elliott noted in a series of tweets.
Windsor-Essex, a region that continues to struggle with outbreaks among temporary farm workers living in cramped conditions, saw 40 more infections of the novel coronavirus, the most of any health unit. Meanwhile, Ottawa had 28 and Toronto 20.
Notably, Peel Region, which has consistently been in the top three health units for new daily cases, confirmed just four new instances of COVID-19.
Seventy-six of today’s 119 new cases were diagnosed in people aged 20 to 39 years old, Elliott said.
Public health officials and Premier Doug Ford have stressed in recent days the need for young people to continue adhering to social distancing measures.
Health authorities in York Region on Saturday issued a public warning after three people tested positive for the novel coronavirus after attending a large party in Schomberg. And in Peel, police say they broke up a house party in Brampton that was attended by as many as 200 young people.
Ontario has now seen a total of 38,799 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the outbreak began in late January. Of those, about 88.8 per cent are considered resolved by the Ministry of Health.
There are currently about 1,574 active cases of COVID-19 provincewide.
For a second day in a row, the province’s reporting on hospitalization numbers is incomplete, as about 30 hospitals failed to submit data from their daily bed censuses on July 24, an issue that not yet been remedied.
Meanwhile, Ontario’s official COVID-19 death toll grew by one and is now 2,764. A CBC News count based on data provided directly by public health units, a measure that avoids lag times in the provincial reporting system, puts the real current toll at 2,792.
At today’s press conference, Ford announced up to $4 billion would be provided for Ontario in partnership with the federal government.
Up to $2 billion will be allocated to public transit funding shared equally between the province and federal government. The funding will help support transit operators that the province says have seen a significant decline in revenue during the pandemic.
Earlier this month, the province announced a $7-billion COVID-19 recovery deal with the federal government. The funding is expected to partly go toward bailing out municipalities that are faced with soaring expenses and plunging revenues due to the pandemic — something urban leaders like Toronto Mayor John Tory have repeatedly pushed for.
Child-care centres can expand capacity today
Meanwhile, the number of kids in child-care centres is allowed to increase across Ontario today as the province continues its gradual reopening.
The Ministry of Education had previously limited the number of people per room in a daycare to 10 in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
As of today, a maximum of 15 children — plus staff members — will be allowed in each “cohort.”
The groups of children must stay together throughout the program for at least seven days, and cannot mix with kids in different cohorts.
While a government document offering operational guidance says staff members are no longer included in the size of the cohort, it notes that staff should not rotate between groups. It says supervisors should “limit their movement between rooms, doing so when absolutely necessary.”
The ministry says infants are excluded from the increased capacity, because they’ve never been allowed to be in groups of more than 10.